It's been awhile since we launched Newsvine Groups. As we ramp up toward launching newly-redesigned groups, I'd like to solicit feedback on the most desired features for Newsvine Groups V2.
A significant distinction between the new group architecture will be the concept of multiple states of membership. For example, having different permissions for owners, admins, contributors, moderators and patrons. Just thinking aloud, a possible scenario is:
- Patron - Can read group content, add group postings to watchlist.
- Moderator - (all of the above and,) can unclip content from the group, delete inappropriate comments.
- Contributor - (all of the above and,) can post content to the group (articles, seeds, clippings).
- Admin - (all of the above and,) can assign roles to other group members below this level, invite/approve/boot members, modify group layout, styling and description.
- Owner - (all of the above and,) can assign roles to other group members below this level, delete group, change group name and domain.
In addition to the concept of different levels of group members (and corresponding permissions), we'd also like to know if you all would like other improvements or alterations to how Groups currently function. A few examples:
- Add posts to Group Talk module to Conversation Tracker
- Ability to separate clippings from articles and seeds
- Auto-accept all group join requests (I really could use this one!)
- Ability to send email communications to all or some group members from a single interface within the group control panel, and the ability for group members to set communication preferences
- Ability to host a private group that has its content publicly available (well, I guess this would be a result of the permissions I outlined above, anyway)
Please feel free to give me additional suggestions about you'd like to see in Newsvine Groups V2, by posting a comment below. BEFORE you post your comment, see if someone else has already made that suggestion (or something similar to it). If they have, vote for that suggestion rather than posting your own as a new comment. If you have a slight modification to their suggestion, or want to add to it, do so by replying to that comment. All completely new suggestions should be posted as a "parent" comment (i.e., not a reply to another comment in this thread).
In a day or two I will go and review the suggestions. The ones with the most votes will be taken into consideration as the Community's most desired feature requests. So, do not sell your own request short by posting it as a duplicate of another member's previous submission, thereby splitting the vote tallies among them.
A suggestion with the highest tally does not necessarily ensure that the feature will be included in this release. In kind, we may also discover a suggestion with little or no votes, that we think would be very useful (or easy to include), and you may end up seeing it in V2 - so do not be bashful, post your suggestions and requests here.
PS - This is not a discussion thread for general feedback, requests and complaints - this is specifically intended to gather feedback from users about our upcoming release of Newsvine Groups V2. Any off topic posts will be deleted. Thank you!